This recipe is so easy. And it is a healthier alternative to fried chicken. I’ve tried other oven baked fried chicken recipes and they usually involve buttermilk and eggs. This is even easier. It takes just a few minutes to prep, then you stick it in the oven and walk away for a half hour. Brilliant. I also like to make roasted broccoli with it, because it goes in for the exact same amount of time and temperature as the chicken!
Here’s what you’ll need for the chicken:
– 1 lb chicken breast tenders
– 1/2 cup panko
– 2 tablespoons light mayo
– garlic salt
– spray oil
For the roasted broccoli side you’ll need:
– 4 cups broccoli florets
– 2 tablespoons minced garlic
– spray oil
Preheat the oven to 350. Put the chicken tenders on a plate. Sprinkle them with the paprika, garlic salt, and basil. I also ended up throwing on a little cayenne pepper; you can really customize this to whatever flavor you want. Sometimes I will even sprinkle some hot sauce on the tenders with my spices.
Once I’ve added the spices, I take one tablespoon of light mayo and apply it to the tenders. Once I’ve covered them in a thin layer, I flip the tenders over and add the spices to the other side and then follow with the second tablespoon of mayo
Put the panko into a bowl, then take the prepped chicken and dip it into the panko, making sure both sides get covered. Place into a baking dish, and spray a little spray oil on top.
To prep the broccoli, grab a second baking dish or oven pan and use a little spray oil to coat the bottom. Add the broccoli florets and then add the minced garlic. Now spray a little more of the spray oil on top.
Now everything is prepped and ready. Put both in the oven and set the timer for 30 minutes. That’s it! Delicious and healthier alternative to fried chicken.
I love this meal because it takes such a small amount of effort and it has a comfort food vibe. Great home cooked meal that can be thrown together easily during your busy work week.
- 1 lb chicken breast tenders
- 1/2 cup panko
- 2 tablespoons light mayo
- ~1/2 teaspoon paprika
- ~1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- ~1/2 teaspoon basil
- spray oil
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Add spices to one side of chicken tenders, spread 1 tablespoon light mayo
- Flip chicken, repeat addition of spices and mayo to second side
- Dip chicken in panko, fully covering tenders, then add to baking dish
- Lightly cover chicken with spray oil
- Now for broccoli - add spray oil to an oven pan
- Add broccoli to pan, then add the minced garlic to the pan
- Lightly cover broccoli with spray oil
- Put both in oven and bake for 30 minutes